Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Monday, June 7, 2010

Zen

It's a lazy, somewhat humid Sunday morning. I had started writing a post in here, but thought perhaps it might make an article for Associated Content, so I've moved it into Open Office and am letting it percolate for another three hundred words or so.

I've had a stressful week. I just heard a robin outside hollering at someone/thing or other, and I realised I have a lot to be thankful for. Just at the moment it's the ability to sit here and write with the window open and the fan on, my Groove Salad stream playing quietly to my left, the morning breeze sifting slowly in, and listen to the sound of robins chirping outside.

There's more, of course, but right now I'll relax in the peaceful environment that surrounds me. Until I risk falling asleep at my desk. My body decided it was going to wake up after about six hours of sleep, so I'm a bit ...

What was I writing about? Oh, yes: groggy. That was the word. I'm a bit groggy.

I've had difficulty finding my Zen this week. I need to remember to slow down at least once a day and just sit. The world is full of wonderful and joyous things, if only we take the time to notice them. Just last night my friends and I diverted into a brief discussion about seahorses, and I commented on how amazing they are. These beautiful little fish-things with chameleon-like eyes that rotate around, propelling their oddly shaped bodies around with tiny fluttering fins, sucking up whatever it is they eat with their snouts. It's creatures like this that make me believe somebody or something created this world, or at least had a plan for its evolution.

I hope you can find your own Zen this week. Don't forget to slow down once in a while. The world always has something weird or cool or awesome to inspire your creativity, if you're open to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment