Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Filling in the gaps

I'm enjoying this challenge more as time goes on. I'd forgotten how much I love these characters and this setting. As I write each day I'm filling in gaps in my manuscript, places where I'd just had a summary sentence or two to remind me of where I was going during the frenzied writing of NaNoWriMo. It's a bit odd to incorporate setting details I created in the second part of the manuscript into the first part. I'm finding myself putting in placeholders for things and places I've forgotten the names for. I'm spending more time than I expected simply reading the second manuscript. I sit down to find a reference and look up ten minutes later when my screensaver turns on. Is it a good sign I'm drawn into my own writing? My words for today are accomplished, so I can spend some time putting them into Scrivener tonight along with some notes for the aforementioned setting details. It'd probably be a good thing to create a text note for each character, too. The first part characters are all named, but there is a considerably larger cast in the second part.

I realised last night that the second manuscript deals almost exclusively with the technology school and shows very little of the magic school. I wonder if that ought to be balanced out. The primary characters are equally important, so they should get equal time. Though I fear the story is going to transform somewhat if I do that. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. For now, I'll focus on my 500 words a day, filling in gaps, and tracking the information I need to keep my fingers on.


February challenge:
Day Two: 338

1 comment:

  1. So, you're saying that, you would expect someone to pay money for something that's possibly no good? Sorry, try again.

    ReplyDelete