Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day Six

I didn't get much accomplished yesterday compared to Thursday (Day Four), but I still managed to log over 1000 words. I've got the Ctrl-S twitch already. I had it on Day One, really. It kind of hangs out all year long, whenever I'm writing something important, this urge to save my document, even if I'm writing a blog post or an email.

My plot is, as predicted, morphing and changing as I go. I've reached the point where I need to pin it down, so out came the index cards yesterday. I scrawled down a sentence on each about a scene or event that happened so far, so if I get stuck I can pick one up and fill in the blanks or expand on a scene that fizzled out.

And in a trend that is continuing with this year's NaNoWriMo story, I've already written the death of one character. Why is it I always kill the ones I like the most? His death will mean something, ultimately.

This story is turning out to be the tale of two people from entirely different walks of life who are different from their respective norms. Well, three people, really. I'm not yet sure who's the primary and who's the secondary character amongst the two women. And then there's the slave revolt, which builds backstory each time I sit down at the computer. And the scheming. I have two schemers on board this year, and I've yet to figure out which one of them is the more dangerous. The first seems to be sliding into the background whilst the second is coming to the fore. I need to figure out what his motivation is.

So things are happening! Words are getting written! And even if my scenes sometimes wander off into unexpected territory, I'm going with the flow. Back to the word mines with me! Look for a week-end wrap-up of word count over Week One on Monday.

P.S.: I'd love to hear from any of you who've taken up the NaNoWriMo challenge this year! How's it going for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment