Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Monday, May 10, 2010

Contests and Lifeclutter

I'm considering trying my hand at Toasted Cheese's A Midsummer Tale contest. The style is creative non-fiction and the topic is 'make believe'. There are more details on Toasted Cheese's contest page. The deadline is June 21st.

Speaking of deadlines, July is rapidly approaching and I have a lot of work to do on my manuscript before it's ready to be sent in for a proof copy. An entire chapter has to be rewritten. There are several transition scenes that need to be written. When I originally wrote this story in 2005, I hadn't quite gotten into the swing of National Novel Writing Month. I was struggling with the pace and I left out a lot. I was just trying to get to the end of the story. In the process I skipped over things which now need to get put back in to fill out the story.

The bad news is that as I try to get something going for Toasted Cheese's contest and finish my manuscript, I also have other creative projects clamouring for my attention. The worse news is that other things in life are taking precedence, mostly in the form of forcing me to sit here and try again and again to phone this person or that person, only to get voice mail or no answer. It's disruptive, as I ususally start around 9 am, the same time I really get going on my morning work and writing. It's very difficult to get writing flow going when you have to stop every fifteen minutes to call Mrs What's-Her-Name. Again. The sooner I get that done, the sooner I can dedicate my morning time to writing projects. I have a lot of them, and many have gone by the wayside. Poetry, short stories, articles. They've all been mostly shunted aside as other, more pressing things barge in and camp out on the sofa of my mind. Once I feed these freeloaders and send them on their way, I'll be able to invite my Muse back in for a cup of tea and some cookies. Gotta have the cookies.

I hope your creative projects are uncluttered and your Muse is unfettered this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment