Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lighting a Fire Under My Own Butt

I'm finding it very hard to get going today. I have a story idea I'm meaning to work on this morning and my head is full of fuzz and distractions. I'm determined to not let this morning get away from me like mornings have been doing the last couple of days. I was productive, sort of, on Sunday, but that was mostly because Toasted Cheese's chat was available. There are a few year-round writing sprint groups online, but they seem defunct now that NaNoWriMo is over.

It's up to me to light a fire under my own butt, and I have always been notoriously bad at that. I could use some inspiring words or helpful advice, or maybe just another cup of tea. One problem is that my computer is filled with distractions, namely the Internet. I would leave it disconnected, except part of my writing/getting things done ritual involves streaming classical music from WRTI radio, which is weak over the air in this room. Maybe I just need to augment my collection of classical music. I'm going to be in Doylestown today. I may stick my nose in at Siren Records to see if there's anything cheap and classical to be had. If I had enough classical that I wasn't bored of it, I might leave my computer off the 'net while I worked.

I have several topics in mind for this blog, but I haven't had the chance to sit down (with brain engaged) and work them out. I need to focus on the fiction this morning. I've been neglecting it. Sometimes I start writing a scene and I'm not sure how it will turn out, how the characters will arrive at their destined endpoint (if there is one). As I write along, personalities emerge, dialogue happens, and many times my characters surprise me by the end of the scene.

I think I'm going to go give that a try. Maybe my Muse has had her morning coffee by now. I think she's perking up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment