Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Empty Head

Time and time again I sit down here to write. Oftentimes I have a subject in mind: a bit of advice or a goofy observaton, perhaps. Today my head is empty. I've got an important meeting coming up today and I expect that's taking away some of my focus. Knowing I have a limited amount of time to get something written in here should spur me to get writing, and it would ... if I had a subject. I've picked up three of my writing books and flipped through them for inspiration for a short bit to write in here but nothing seems to fit. But I've got to write something.

I write here in the hopes that each time I do I'll inspire or inform or entertain someone, somewhere out there. There are times I just toss an article entirely because I don't have a suitable idea or whatever I've written or decided to write seems substandard.

Tomorrow starts my 500-word-a-day challenge. I'm not yet certain what my project is. I suspect I'll figure that out today sometime. I'm considering using February to add the requisite material to "The Rise of Umbra", the 2005 (and 2008) work I wrote during NaNoWriMo, especially since my local library is having a novel-writing workshop of sorts in the middle of the month. But I have other projects and characters who are very good at pulling me into writing something, too. Maybe I'll take my 2005 manuscript with me to my meeting today, to look at before the meeting starts. I need to remember how much I enjoyed writing those characters and get inspired to write them for 500 words or more every day this coming month. And "Umbra" is the book I'm hoping to have properly prepared for a proof copy by summertime, so I really ought to be focused on that.

See you tomorrow for the first of twenty-eight days of daily project writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment