Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Monday, October 25, 2010

'Twas the week before NaNoWriMo, and I had no story idea...

It's one week until the start of NaNoWriMo 2010, and, as per usual, I have no idea what I'm going to write this year. A few months back I had three possible story ideas, but none of them seem as shiny now as they did then. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though it makes it impossible to do the minor planning ahead I'd hoped to do. In 2005 I chose my story on November 1st and ended up writing 26,000 words of a story I'm very fond of. I added 50,000 to that same story a few years later (under the Zokutou Clause, which came from a now-defunct writing website and stated that if you'd successfully completed NaNoWriMo you could work on finishing a novel, since you now knew you could start one).

I think I'd like to start with something fresh again this year. Last year's "The Clockwork Robot" was okay, less the few places where obvious extras were written in for the sake of word count. 2007's untitled time travel work has some definite gems, though it's more than a bit of a mess in places. And I think I reached the end of the "Umbra" story in 2008. I think. I wonder if I ought to read that over again and maybe write more about Sarah and Aristotle and the bad guys. Though I think the cast changed enough that the dynamics are different. And I think ... I think the good guys actually won.

Or did they?! *evil laugh*

No comments:

Post a Comment