Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Monday, June 28, 2010

Writing Schedules

Writers write. It's a simple fact that anyone who's ever made a serious stab at being a writer has at least heard of. But for some, finding even an hour in which to squeeze some writing time can be a daunting task. Things like the Time Finder in Chris Baty's "No Plot? No Problem!" can be useful, but what about when you're not trying to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days? What about all the other months of the year when you're just trying to carve out some time for some article, poetry, or short story writing? There's a certain amount of discipline involved, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's periodically tossed up my hands and gone, "No way. It ain't getting done today." Too many of those and I lose my momentum, my drive, my place in whatever project I was working on.

Those of you who try to fit writing into your busy schedules: how do you handle it? Or are you in a place where you hit the end of the day and wonder where it went, and why so much of it was spent doing things other than writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment