Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Validation

Many people fall into the trap of creating content and then sending it out into the world and hoping it'll be chosen by the Powers That Be and they'll receive a reward, even if that reward is only recognition.

I'm one of them. It stifles me sometimes - the fear that my work may not be as special or inspirational as I hope. The worry that what I produce and show to the world at large may in fact be better used as bird cage liner. It's the reason I foist my stuff off on my friends from time to time. I quietly slide a few sheets of printed paper across the table, hoping they'll read it over and give me a quiet thumbs-up or a few words of encouragement. Hoping they'll have the courage to tell me if my stuff really is lousy.

But waiting for the world to decide you're special is a waste of time. Seth Godin writes in his blog:
If you have a book to write, write it. If you want to record an album, record it. No need to wait for someone in a cubicle halfway across the country to decide if you're worthy.
Sound advice, but it can be difficult to follow. It requires having trust in oneself, and some of us are notoriously bad at that.

Be brave this week. Follow your creative heart and work with the innate knowledge that your creations are special. You'll never know if you can create a beautiful, inspired work if you don't start making something.

No comments:

Post a Comment