Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Markets, Contests, and Things

I spent some time looking at markets yesterday. Markets and contests and grants, oh my. There sure are a lot of them out there. It's going to take some research and a lot of question-asking to find the ones that are best for me.

Practicing Writing
, a blog linked in my blog list over there, has a newsletter that includes marketing and other professional advice. I've signed up for a few other groups and newsletters in the past few days, including qarrtsiluni, an online literary magazine.

I also looked at Duotrope's Digest, which features a great search engine of markets. All its information is based on reports made by writers who've submitted work to these markets, and the search engine makes it easy to find what you're looking for. It doesn't reduce the sheer volume of markets, but it should help you find the slice of the market pie that's suitable for what you're writing.

So before I get too caught up in poking around for another new site/magazine/contest to mention, I'm gonna stop here. I think the caffeine in my tea has not quite made it to my brain yet, and the result is ...

What was I writing? Yeah, see what I mean? Back tomorrow with ... something. Be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment