Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Good with the bad

I can't seem to get going today. My mind keeps wandering in vague circles of procrastination, edging around looking for something else to do other than write in here. Hung up on the details of phone conversations actually completed this morning, as opposed to the frustration of yesterday, of being unable to reach the invisible parties on the other end of the line, I'm pleased to have made the connection, but clouded as to how best to use the information so gleaned.

Yeah, I just listened to the poetry reading on Writer's Almanac. That's kind of a mess of a thing up there, but I'm going to leave it. Good with the bad.

I almost wrote a State of the Blog post today, as I'm still weighing my options for the future home of this blog. If you have time, please look at Drops of Blood on My Forehead on Wordpress and Blogger and give me any opinions you may have of them. I'm compiling some data on my experiences in composing entries in each and their look once they're finished, but it's not much. So far VOX is the clear winner, with Wordpress a near second. So I'm working with Blogger today, planning this week to play with the CSS, as it's most customisable here (and free to do so!), and I do have some experience in working with it. I just haven't been much in a CSS mood lately.

I tend to stick to one kind of work at a time - if I'm writing, I tend not to want to configure Linux (still have no wireless internet on it) or tweak HTML or CSS. Instead I want to draw or play with conlangs or work on role-playing game ideas. So I've mostly been composing in VOX, as I know exactly how to get the results I want there, and they export nicely to WordPress.

One thing I do need on this blog if I'm to move it is a header image. I could grab a picture off the internet and tweak it up in Gimp or Paint Shop, but I think it's far wiser to create my own. I'd love a picture of a finely-crafted fountain pen, perhaps a mug or a typewriter, some typed sheets of paper. I don't own a finely crafted fountain pen, but I do have the other things. I could take some photos and tinker this week.

So I'm flailing a bit so far this week. Kindly bear with me. This too shall pass. I will get back to my fiction writing. You may well see bits of it in here in weeks to come. I'll be rearranging my schedule to get me to sit down with my fiction-writing Muse and focus less on non-fiction things, though, you know, I have at least three articles for Associated Content I need to start/write/finish. Sigh. Somehow there's never enough time in the day. It's time to make some. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment